10 Ways to Flu Proof Your Kids
Media coverage is exploding over the flu epidemic and has us debating whether we should be getting our flu shots or not. But what can we do naturally to “flu proof” your kids?
Runny noses. Constant colds. Recurrent flus. Gastrointestinal bugs. We don’t have to accept these common child’s illness, we can take measures to boost their defenses, speed healing, and help them to gain a greater level of wellness. The fact is, our bodies have all the tools it needs to protect itself without a toxic flu vaccine.
Protect your child’s health during the colder months by taking these safe and natural steps to strengthen their immune system every day of the year and forget the flu shot:
1. Know when flu season occurs. Most cases of the flu are reported during January to February. During these times avoid taking your children into public places such as doctor’s offices, hospitals, nursing homes, the airport and shopping centers. Avoid public transportation and any confined spaces. This is tough so teach good hand washing to them to keep those flu germs away.
2. Regularly disinfect your home. In addition to regular cleaning, disinfect doorknobs, the telephone, light switches, car keys, the refrigerator and toilet to decrease germs. I love using natural essential oils like Thieves oil or one of the many natural disinfectants at stores.
3. Improve their diet. Increase their fruit (low sugar fruits) and vegetable intake, and consume high quality lean meats, preferable from organic sources. Stay away from processed foods, sugar, enriched, and fortified ingredients that are likely genetically modified.
4. Fill in nutritional gaps with supplementation if necessary. Talk to your health care professional to see if supplementation is needed. If so, look for whole-food based supplements rather ones filled with synthetic ingredients. We live for the Pedi Protect by Healthy Kids Nutrients healthykidsnutrients.com
5. Teach your child proper hygiene and to wash hands often. Antibacterial soap isn’t necessary and shouldn’t be overused due to harsh chemicals like triclosan. I use Honest Company in the office and we love it, great price too.
6. Decrease risk of germs. If you take your child to the grocery store, clean and disinfect the shopping cart if they are young enough to sit in the cart. Additionally, try to keep your little one from touching things such as hand rails, doors etc. if at all possible.
7. Sleep is more important than you may think. Children need good, sound sleep to ensure proper body and mind development. Sleep is one of the easiest and best ways to improve your health naturally.
8. Being active is a key component of living a healthy lifestyle. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), children ages 5-17 should be getting 60 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity daily. Kids who are active will have stronger muscles and bones, have a leaner body, and will be less likely to become overweight and develop type 2 diabetes.
9. Calm their stress and anxiety. In today’s fast-paced world, parents are overstressed, children are overscheduled, and everyone suffers. Children’s bodies have the same response to stress as adults do. Stress hormones – cortisol and adrenaline – are elevated and their immune system is lowered. Diffuse Young Living essential oils in their bedrooms every night, this is my secret weapon.
10. Stay hydrated! This is important everyday of the year as children are more prone to becoming dehydrated than adults. Encourage your child to drink water before, after and during physical activity. Always offer water with meals and snacks. If they don’t like water, try adding slices of fruit such as lemon or orange to their water.
Any one of these natural solutions will help you and your family prevent the flu. Together, they can give you protection a vaccine can’t.